Washington State University (WSU) expects students to maintain academic standards of excellence and make satisfactory academic progress toward their degree objectives. Undergraduate students are in good academic standing if both their current WSU semester and a cumulative grade point averages are a 2.0 or above. Students not meeting these requirements are considered academically deficient.
Students who are academically deficient according to WSU policy may also be considered as not maintaining satisfactory academic progress for financial aid purposes. To find out if you are academically deficient, check your grades in myWSU. If you are academically deficient, we will post a notice in myWSU stating the academic regulation under which you are deficient.
Academic Reinstatement Application
Undergraduate students whose first semester (excluding summer session) or cumulative grade point average drops below a 2.0 for the first time must apply for reinstatement to continue their enrollment at WSU. Students are then placed on probation after reinstatement. Certified majors on academic probation may be decertified by the academic department. There is a $50.00 nonrefundable processing fee for all Rule 38 Reinstatement Applications. If you have questions about the reinstatement process, please contact WSU Everett Admissions, 425-405-1600.
Reinstatement Process for Rule 38:
- Complete the Academic Reinstatement Application. Course enrollment for the subsequent semester will be cancelled if an application for reinstatement has not been received and approved.
- If you’ve been away from WSU for one academic semester or more, document attendance in any other institution. All academic coursework taken at another institution during the time away from WSU must be documented and official transcripts submitted. Please have your official transcripts to mailed to: WSU Everett Admissions, 915 North Broadway, Everett, WA 98201.
- Pay the $50 nonrefundable reinstatement processing fee. This fee is required before your application for reinstatement can be submitted.
- Once your application and fee has been processed, you will work with your academic adviser regarding your reinstatement. If you are offered reinstatement, you’ll be sent reinstatement conditions via your provided email address, which you’ll be required to sign and return before your deficiency hold will be lifted.
- An in person interview may be requested after the committee reviews your application to determine your readiness for reinstatement. An interview is subject to committee discretion. You will be notified by your academic adviser if an interview is requested by your committee.
Undergraduate students are dismissed from the University with any the third semester (excluding summer session) in which the cumulative grade point average is below 2.0.
- Students will be dismissed and courses for the next semester (excluding summer) will be canceled. There is no early reinstatement process.
- Students who are dismissed from the University must wait a minimum of two full semesters to re-enroll for courses offered through any WSU campus.
- Dismissed individuals may not seek status as a ‘non-degree seeking student.