The School of Hospitality Business Management at Washington State University will kick off its annual Hospitality Week Tuesday, March 2, featuring a lineup of virtual events open to the public, including the Bellhop and celebration of new inductees into the SHBM Hall of Fame.
Tuesday’s events include an expert industry panel at 9 a.m. that will feature hospitality experts discussing career opportunities and challenges in the hospitality industry. Registration is available on the expert industry panel website. Panelists include:
- John Sommer (’86), regional director of human resources-Western Region, Hilton Worldwide. Sommer will moderate the panel.
- Oliver Meinzer (’99, ’03), vice president of global operations and digital guest experience, Marriott International
- Tom Norwalk (’76), president and CEO, Visit Seattle
- Rick Tupper (‘80), vice president, Puget Sound Hospitality
- Lisa Bliss (’80), procurement agent, indirect supply chain-hotel program and car rental program, Boeing
- Anthony Anton (’93), president and CEO, Washington Hospitality Association
At 11 a.m. on Tuesday, a community screening of the documentary A Fine Line will explores why less than 7% of head chefs and restaurant owners are women, when traditionally women have always held the central role in the kitchen. Registration is available on the A Fine Line website.